Comprehensive Immigration Action Alert
May 7th, 2007
The Senate is starting a crucial week on Immigration legislation. There is a pledge from the Democrat majority to begin immigration reform debate on May 14th. Senators need to hear from you that Comprehensive Immigration Reform must happen now.
Join to get the reform done by calling your senators to pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Here is the action alert from the U.S. Catholic Bishops.
U.S. SENATE TO CONSIDER IMMIGRATION LEGISLATION
CONTACT YOUR SENATORS TODAY
Background: Democratic and Republican Senators, along with the Bush Administration, are currently negotiating compromise immigration reform legislation which could be considered on the floor of the U.S. Senate beginning the week of May 14. Should these negotiations falter, the Democratic leadership could choose to bring the STRIVE Act, or a similar bill, to the floor for immediate consideration. It is important that you contact your Senators in the next few days and ask for their support for a just and humane immigration reform bill.
USCCB Position: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) and other organizational members of the Justice for Immigrants (JFI) Campaign are working to ensure that any compromise immigration legislation includes the principles set forth by the U.S. bishops.
Any legislation which would warrant USCCB support would include:
- A legalization program for the undocumented which includes family unity and a realistic path to citizenship;
- A new worker program with worker protections and a path to citizenship; and
- The preservation of family reunification as a cornerstone of our immigration system and the elimination of family backlogs and waiting times.
To contact your Senators, call 202-224-3121. Please visit the USCCB website for materials.
- Festival of Social Doctrine: “Multi-stakeholder Collaboration” December 8th, 2016
- The Missionary Oblates Wish You a Blessed Advent and Christmas December 6th, 2016
- Prayer for the Feast of The Immaculate Conception December 5th, 2016
Latest Video & Audio
- Goodbye to Plastic Bags in Laredo Texas April 14th, 2015
- Mexican Migrant Children Forgotten at the Border January 22nd, 2015