Speak Out to the Candidates on Climate Change
October 29th, 2008
As Christians, we recognize that climate change is a moral crisis that demands immediate action. We are called to speak truth to power and seek justice for our neighbors. The upcoming presidential election provides an opportunity for our moral and faithful voice to be heard. Click here to sign an open letter being circulated by the National Council of Churches to the presidential candidates, Senators McCain and Obama.
The letter acknowledges the need for:
- strong emissions reductions to prevent the worst impacts of climate change
- financial assistance to low-income and working families to protect them from the rising cost of energy
- international adaptation assistance to help vulnerable nations and communities cope with the impacts of global warming
As a result of human induced climate change, Creation is wounded, those living in poverty are suffering and future generations may be left with disease and desolation. We have a moral obligation to stand up for our neighbors living in poverty who have contributed least to the problem of climate change yet stand to suffer the most. As stewards of creation, we must urge our leaders to follow scientific recommendations and take the necessary action to protect creation by limiting the future impacts of climate change. Click here to sign an open letter to the presidential candidates, Senators McCain and Obama.
Urge them to make addressing climate change a top priority in their administration
Click here to encourage a friend to sign the letter
- A video tribute to Fr. Kennedy Katongo, OMI (1980-2016) September 22nd, 2016
- 36th General Chapter of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate Convening in Rome September 16th, 2016
- Remembering Fr. Kennedy Katongo, OMI September 15th, 2016
Latest Video & Audio
- Goodbye to Plastic Bags in Laredo Texas April 14th, 2015
- Mexican Migrant Children Forgotten at the Border January 22nd, 2015