The Cosmic Walk
Until recently it was believed that creation took place about 10,000 years ago. Now we know that already 200 years before Moses was born, King Tut III was ruling Egypt’s 18th Dynasty and indigenous tribes were living on the North American continent.
Through scientific discoveries, we now know that creation began about 13.7 billion years ago and that it continues today. The Cosmic Walk is a ritual celebration of some 22 events in that unfolding story that are coded in our own bodies. Fr. Darrell liked to remind participants that every atom in their bodies is 13.7 billions old….and that yes, we are dust – star dust – made of minerals like calcium, potassium and iron. These were once in a star named Tiamat which became a supernova.
For the meditative walk, a rope 150 feet in length is spiraled on the floor. The ritual begins in the center as Father lights and lifts a candle high celebrating and commemorating the beginning of creation. The significance of that event is then read. Twenty-two lights gradually appear – shedding enough light to read the signs that explain each event of our unfolding story. When this is finished, others are invited to take a candle while silently and reflectively walking the Cosmic Walk and praising our Creator.
A discussion follows. The exercise is powerfully enlightening and meaningful to those who experience the Cosmic Walk.
- Photos from Frs. Jim Brobst and Antonio Ponce’s 3-Week Visit to Zambia December 2nd, 2016
- Have a Blessed Thanksgiving! November 23rd, 2016
- Shop for Bargains and Make a Statement this Black Friday November 21st, 2016
- Pope Francis Proposes New Beatitudes Linking JPIC, Evangelization and Ecumenism November 21st, 2016
Latest Video & Audio
- Goodbye to Plastic Bags in Laredo Texas April 14th, 2015
- Mexican Migrant Children Forgotten at the Border January 22nd, 2015