Vatican and Other Religious Statements
This site will post important statements issued by the Vatican on the environment, particularly on climate change issues. For a full listing of Vatican statements, please visit the Vatican website.
The following are some of the Vatican statements on the subject of the environment:
- Message of His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI for the Celebration of the World Day of Peace: “If You Want to Cultivate Peace, Protect Creation” January 1, 2010
- Encyclical Letter “Caritas in Veritate” of the Supreme Pontiff Benedict XVI on integral human development; June 29, 2009
- Papal Message to the international exposition on “Water and Sustainable Development,” in Zaragoza, Spain (July 16,2008).
- “The Human Family, A Community of Peace” (Message of His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI for the Celebration of the World Day of Peace; 1 January 2008
- Intervention by the Holy See at the United Nations on Climate Change, September 24, 2007
- Pope Benedict XVI’s call for respect for the environment during his Angelus address on Sunday, Aug. 27, from Vatican Radio.
- “The Human Person,The Heart of Peace” (Message of His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI for the Celebration of the World Day of Peace; 1 January 2007)
- Address of his Holiness Benedict XVI to the members of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, November 6, 2006
- Intervention of the Holy See at the Second Committee of the General Assembly of the United Nations on Sustainable Development by Archbishop Celestino Migliore, the Holy See’s Permanent Observer to the United Nations, New York, October 26, 2006.
- Letter of his Holiness Benedict XVI to his Holiness Bartholomew I, Ecumenical Patriarch, on the Occasion of the Sixth Symposium on “Religion, Science and the Environment” Focusing on the Amazon River
- Intervention by the Holy See at the United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development of the Economic and Social Council, May 11, 2006
- Intervention by the Holy See at the World Summit on Sustainable Development, Johannesburg, South Africa, September 2nd, 2002
- Message of Pope John Paul II for the 2000 World Day of Peace, nos. 17-18
- Pope John Paul II’s 1990 World Day of Peace message on the environment, The Ecological Crisis: A Common Responsibility
- Encouraged by Pope Francis’ Work, Rabbis Call for Vigorous Action on Climate Change May 14th, 2015
- Faiths See Climate Change as a Moral and Practical Threat May 4th, 2015
- The Vatican Announces Summit on Climate Change April 22nd, 2015
- Invested in Change: Faith Consistent Investing in a Climate-Challenged World April 14th, 2015
Latest Video & Audio
- Goodbye to Plastic Bags in Laredo Texas April 14th, 2015
- Mexican Migrant Children Forgotten at the Border January 22nd, 2015