VIVAT International is made up of several religious congregations, including the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, who have joined to be recognized as one by ECOSOC.
The name VIVAT International is a unifying symbol of the congregations from which the organization is formed. VIVAT International is an organized network of seven religious congregations:
- Missionary Sisters Servants of the Holy Spirit (SSpS)
- Divine Word Missionaries (SVD)
- Missionary Sisters of the Holy Rosary (MSHR)
- Comboni Sisters (CMS)
- Congregation of the Holy Spirit (CSSP)
- Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI)
- Comboni Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus (MCC)
The expertise, and/or experience of these congregations and their associated networks on issues related to social justice, development, peace and/or ecology is an important contribution to UN deliberations. Though VIVAT International was formally incorporated as a non-profit organization on December 19, 2000, its members have been working in those areas for more than150 years.