Cardinal George Calls for End to Immigration Raids
March 23rd, 2009
On Saturday, March 21, Cardinal France George OMI, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops called on the Obama White House to end immigration raids that are splitting up families. He challenged the current administration to live by its campaign promises of change by working towards immigration reform.
Cardinal George spoke before several hundred people attending an interfaith prayer forum inside Our Lady of Mercy Church in Albany Park in Chicago. The forum was organized by advocates calling for changes to U.S. immigration policy. It was organized in collaboration with U.S. Representative Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) as part of a 17 – city tour focusing on immigration. Cardinal George articulated the position of the Catholic Church on immigration as one that doesn’t approve of people breaking the law, but that believes everyone deserves respect. He said a cessation of raids would demonstrate the administration’s sincerity to voters in the immigrant community.
- A video tribute to Fr. Kennedy Katongo, OMI (1980-2016) September 22nd, 2016
- 36th General Chapter of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate Convening in Rome September 16th, 2016
- Remembering Fr. Kennedy Katongo, OMI September 15th, 2016
Latest Video & Audio
- Goodbye to Plastic Bags in Laredo Texas April 14th, 2015
- Mexican Migrant Children Forgotten at the Border January 22nd, 2015