Cardinal Timothy Dolan on 43rd Anniversary of Roe v. Wade
January 21st, 2016
Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York issued a statement for the 43rd anniversary of the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court Decision asking us to recommit ourselves to a vision of life and love and to unite in prayer and action for the protection of life at every state and in every circumstance. He opens his statement by recognizing the tragic irony that every year in December we celebrate “the birth of the baby Jesus, fruit of Mary’s humble ‘yes’ to God’s gift of new life…and then we turn, as we must each year, to recall a legal decision that said ‘no’ to new life and has deprived a whole class of people – pre-born babies – of their right to life.”
Cardinal Dolan invites us to ask where we are 43 years after Roe v. Wade and where we need to go – how best to present our pro-life vision to others. He notes that many Americans “who support important goals of the pro-life movement do not identify as ‘pro-life’. [Therefore] let us never be distracted by the false charge that this life-affirming cause is merely a political or partisan issue. It is an essential moral vision that lifts up every human person…May God bless our efforts to uphold human life!”
How to get involved:
1) Read the full text of Cardinal Dolan’s message.
2) Prayer. A 14 – hour prayer vigil begins Thursday at 5:30. A full schedule of Washington events can be found here. For those who are unable to attend in-person, join us by praying in your own communities.
3) Action. Many cities around the country will be holding pro-life rallies on Friday. Attend one close to you and encourage others to do the same.
The Roman Missal designates January 22nd as a particular day of prayer and penance. Consider using these resources in your local parishes.
- Photos from Frs. Jim Brobst and Antonio Ponce’s 3-Week Visit to Zambia December 2nd, 2016
- Have a Blessed Thanksgiving! November 23rd, 2016
- Shop for Bargains and Make a Statement this Black Friday November 21st, 2016
Latest Video & Audio
- Goodbye to Plastic Bags in Laredo Texas April 14th, 2015
- Mexican Migrant Children Forgotten at the Border January 22nd, 2015