Take Action This Week: Urge Congress to Keep the Charitable Tax Deduction
November 21st, 2017
I am writing you to share my concern and urgently seek your help regarding efforts by the United States Senate to pass a bill that would eliminate all charitable tax deductions. Last week the House passed this bill, “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act” (H.R. 1.), and this week the US Senate is considering this bill as well. If passed, this bill would have dire consequences for Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, its affiliates, and all US non-profit organizations.
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act’s current language & the elimination of the Charitable Tax Deduction would be devastating to the charities that I support and the non-profit organization for whom I work. It would remove the tax incentive for millions of charitable taxpayers, and could result in a loss of $13 billion annually right where the funds are needed the most – helping America’s poor.
Sr. Georgette Lehmuth, President/CEO of the National Catholic Development Conference states, “Tax reform should protect and expand this deduction to recognize the impact of charitable gifts, regardless of size, to support those most vulnerable in American society and worldwide.” I wholeheartedly agree.
Additionally, I STRONGLY urge you to support the amendment by Senators Wyden and Stabenow that will create a universal charitable deduction. This way, there will continue to be tax-wise incentives for people to support those who fall through the cracks in our American society.
Please offer your support by taking immediate action! Instructions are outlined below.
- Click this link to find your Senator: https://democracy.io/ (Enter your address and zip code, then click “Submit”.)
- A new screen listing your Congressional Representatives will appear, select your Senators, then click “Write to them.”
- Please use this as your message Subject line: “Please keep the Charitable Tax Deduction in any Tax Overhaul Bill.”
- Enter a short letter to your Senator in the “Message” box. Please include the information in this Action Alert in your letter.
- Enter your contact info. (Check “Taxes” under the topic drop-down box.)
- Then hit “Send” button to complete the action.
Thank you for your time and generosity! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!