News Archives » DACA/Dreamer
(Action alert developed by USCCB Justice for Immigrants)
Members of the U.S. House of Representatives are voting on June 21st to pass H.R. 4760 and H.R. 6136. We join Justice for Immigrants (JFI) and other faith groups in recommending that Representatives vote NO on both bills.
Both of these bills address DACA eligible youth, but require drastic cuts to family-based immigration and eradicate protections for unaccompanied children and asylum seekers. Here are some of our concerns:
- H.R. 4760 does not include a pathway to citizenship for the limited number of DACA recipients eligible for protection.
- H.R. 4760 fails to adequately address family separation and will lead to increases in child and family detention.
- H.R. 4760 heightens the asylum “credible fear” standard and will undermine existing and critical protections for unaccompanied children.
- H.R. 6136 fails to adequately address family separation and will lead to increases in child and family detention.
- H.R. 6136 heightens the asylum “credible fear” standard and will undermine existing and critical protections for unaccompanied children.
Visit Justice for Immigrants’ (JFI) website to send this action alert to your U.S. House members.
Here are two new resources and more in depth-backgrounders from JFI on the two bills. Also visit JFI’s DACA/Dreamer Resource page:
H.R. 6136 -One page background of some points of the bill.
H.R. 4760– One page background of some points on the bill.
On February 26 Urge Congress to Protect Dreamers February 22nd, 2018
Join U.S Catholics on February 26: National Call-In Day to Protect Dreamers
On Monday, February 26, U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops is urging Catholics to call Congress and demand they act on behalf of Dreamers. Please join with other Catholics across the country in calling on Senators and Representatives to urge them to give Dreamers protection and a path to citizenship.
There are approximately 1.8 million Dreamers (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals-DACA) living in this country who were brought to the United States as young children and teens. They worship with us in our churches and serve in the military, contribute to the economy, and bring diverse talents to American society.
The DACA program, which previously granted temporary legal status to Dreamers, was revoked by the current administration and will expire on March 5, leaving almost a million Dreamers vulnerable to arrest, deportation and separation from their families.
As Catholics, we are taught to care for the foreigner: “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me.” (Mt 25:35). This is our faith tradition as Christians – to care for our neighbor.
Your voice is needed! Take Action on February 26 to Protect Dreamers.
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) and its Justice for Immigrants Campaign (JFI) are calling all Catholics to contact their U.S. Senators and Representatives to urge them to take action for Dreamers.
- Please call 855-589-5698 to reach the Capitol switchboard and press 1 to connect to your Senator. Once you are connected to the Senator‘s offices, please ask the person on the phone to deliver this simple message to your legislator:
“I urge you to support a bipartisan, common-sense, and humane solution for Dreamers. Protect Dreamers from deportation and provide them with a path to citizenship. Reject proposals that undermine family immigration or protections for unaccompanied children. As a Catholic, I know that families are not “chains,” but a blessing to be protected. Act now to protect Dreamers, our immigrant brothers and sisters.”
- Please call 855-589-5698 a second time to reach the Capitol switchboard again. Press 2 to connect to your Representative. Once you are connected to the Representative’s office, please ask the person on the phone to deliver the same message as above.
After completing your call, please go to http://www.justiceforimmigrants.org to learn more about Dreamers and find other ways to voice your support.