California Dream Act Signed into Law
August 8th, 2011
California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law the California Dream Act (AB 130) on July 25th. This measure allows undocumented immigrant students who have graduated high school to use private grants to go to college.
The Governor is now considering a more controversial companion bill, AB 131, which would give undocumented students access to public grants as well. The Catholic Church supports the federal version of the Dream Act, which also offers a path to citizenship for undocumented students, saying it is consistent with Catholic social doctrine that is based on the dignity of each human.
It’s a small step for a big goal: the chance for a bright future for undocumented students.
Thanks to the faith communities and community leaders who made this victory possible.
- A video tribute to Fr. Kennedy Katongo, OMI (1980-2016) September 22nd, 2016
- 36th General Chapter of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate Convening in Rome September 16th, 2016
- Remembering Fr. Kennedy Katongo, OMI September 15th, 2016
Latest Video & Audio
- Goodbye to Plastic Bags in Laredo Texas April 14th, 2015
- Mexican Migrant Children Forgotten at the Border January 22nd, 2015