News Archives » eco-tips
Go Green Tips from the EPA June 14th, 2013The US Environmental Protection Agency sends out an E-Newsletter with Green Tips that you might find useful. Here are some ideas from the June Newsletter…
Prepare for disaster before it strikes. June is the beginning of hurricane season in the U.S. Individuals, communities, and businesses can plan ahead for safety, shortages, and storm cleanup. http://www.epa.gov/naturaldisasters/hurricanes
WHAT YOU CAN DO, WHAT YOU CAN USE
Hot tips for a cool summer! Save energy in summer and fight climate change. Get tips to reduce energy bills and greenhouse gas emissions. http://www.epa.gov/epahome/hi-summer.htm
Don’t Fry – Any Day! With the start of the summer season, avoid overexposure to the sun’s harmful “UV” rays. Put on sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher. Melanoma, the most serious form of skin cancer is the most common cancer among young adults aged 15-29. http://www2.epa.gov/sunwise/action-steps-sun-safety
Landscaping makes WaterSense! Homeowners or businesses can use WaterSense-labeled controllers for landscape watering. Landscaping water controllers with the WaterSense label meet criteria for efficiency and performance. http://www.epa.gov/watersense/products/controltech.html
You can subscribe at http://epa.gov/gogreen
Eco-Tips: Mindfulness about Waste October 20th, 2011
- each person in the United States produces over 3,285 pounds of hazardous waste;
- over 80% of items in landfills can be recycled, but they’re not;
- the United States generates 30 billion foam cups, 220 million tires, and 1.8 billion disposable diapers every year.
Its time to stop. These are some of the things you can start doing today:
- Favor products with a high recycled content, even if they cost a little more.
- Reduce the volume of packaging you buy, reuse what you can, and recycle the rest.
- Tell the clerk “I don’t need a bag”.
- Use your own reusable canvas bag or backpack at the store.
- Buy quality products and keep them for a lifetime.
Something Stinks in San Fernando! September 26th, 2011
Eco-Alert for residents of Pacoima, CA:
South Coast Air Quality Management District, the organization in charge of regulating the asphalt plant’s emissions, has given us a number to call and report these odors. 8 calls a day are needed in order for them to take action against All American Asphalt. The number is 800-288-7664. Your call can make a difference!
Eco-Tip for July July 15th, 2011
Switch out your curtains. White curtains in summer reflect heat. In the winter, dark heavy curtains help warm rooms and let you lower your thermostat. For each degree you adjust your thermostat, you save 3-5% on your energy bill and reduce carbon emissions too.
Replace Disposables with Reusable Products April 11th, 2011
Replace Disposables: Wherever possible, replace disposable products with reusable ones (i.e., razor, food storage, batteries, ink cartridges (buy refill ink), coffee filters, furnace or air conditioner filters, etc.).
Recycle Your Paper! March 4th, 2011
These are some of the benefits of recycling paper:
- Conserves resources
- Prevents emissions of many greenhouse gases and water pollutants
- Saves energy
- Supplies valuable raw materials to industry
- Creates jobs
- Stimulates the growth of greener technologies
- Reduces the need for new landfills and incinerators