TAKE ACTION: Prevent the derailment of Obama’s economic recovery plan!
February 1st, 2009
The Senate will vote on President Obama’s economic recovery bill soon. An organized campaign is trying to stop it. Your call can make a difference!
Our nation needs a strong and fair recovery plan. President Obama’s plan creates jobs and responds to the urgent and basic human needs of the nation’s poor and working families. It needs your support now!
Call your U.S. senators toll-free today.Tell them:
- To vote for the economic recovery bill without delay.
- To oppose efforts to include a flawed anti-immigrant measure called “E-Verify.”
Call toll-free* at 1-800-473-6711. Click here for your senators’ name or direct line if toll-free number is busy.
The Senate’s plan does what economists urge. It jumpstarts the economy by increasing food stamp and jobless benefits that people spend quickly. It prevents cuts in crucial state services. It invests in schools and energy efficiency.
Unfortunately, Senator Grassley (R-IA) is expected to introduce an amendment that the Oblate JPIC Office and many religious groups oppose. This measure would require all entities receiving recovery funds to enroll in the flawed E-Verify program for all new hires, currently meant to be voluntary.
Congressional hearings and independent researchers have identified many flaws with E-Verify.
We oppose any effort to hinge our nation’s economic recovery on mandatory implementation of a system proved to contain inaccuracies and cause workplace discrimination. That contradicts the legislation’s purpose and sends the wrong message at a time when Congress should focus on measures to protect all workers.
Support a fair recovery: Call the Senate today
Call the Capitol Hill switchboard toll-free at 1-800-473-6711.
Ask for one of the senators from your state.
Tell them to vote for the economic recovery bill without delay and to oppose “E-Verify.”
- January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month January 17th, 2017
- Fr. Seamus Finn among Presenters at the Rome Roundtable 2017 January 17th, 2017
- Investors and Public Health Groups Voice Support for Affordable Care Act January 13th, 2017
Latest Video & Audio
- Goodbye to Plastic Bags in Laredo Texas April 14th, 2015
- Mexican Migrant Children Forgotten at the Border January 22nd, 2015