Fr. Carl Kabat Protests Nuclear Weapons Once Again
August 15th, 2009
Father Carl Kabat, OMI was whose work has been marked by anti-nuclear activism has been arrested for entering a missile silo facility in Colorado.
Statement to the Press from Fr Carl:
“The Roman Catholic Church, of which I am a priest, at the close of its Vatican Council II in 1965 condemned nuclear bombs as a crime against humanity and are to be condemned unreservedly.
The World Council of Churches has proclaimed that ‘the manufacture, deployment or use of nuclear bombs is a crime against humanity.’
I support President Barack Obama’s desire and have attempted to do my little bit in his effort.
The nuclear bomb that is in the ground here is more than 20 times more powerful than the atomic bombs we dropped on the Japanese. Each of those bombs killed more than 100,000 people. At lest twenty times that number totals more than 2 million people.
The Bible says in the words of Isaiah. ‘They shall beat their spears into pruning hooks and their swords into plowshares.’
May the Holy One have mercy on us for not doing so.”
Fr Carl Kabat
- OMI JPIC office welcomes intern Br Terence Chota OMI May 23rd, 2013
- 2012 International Religious Freedom Report Available May 22nd, 2013
- Oblate Shareholder Activism Appreciated May 22nd, 2013
Latest Video & Audio
- NRCAT Urges in Congress: Close Guantanamo! May 10th, 2013
- Oblate working in Brazil with Street Children interviewed on NPR May 1st, 2013